Pharmaceutical companies have the legal duty of making sure that their drugs do not put the health of patients at risk. When a pharmaceutical company fails to exercise reasonable duty of care, patients who suffer due to their negligence are eligible for compensation. The makers of Xarelto are no exception to this rule. Morgan & Morgan attorneys have filed a large number of lawsuits against Xarelto for the severe side effects of the blood thinner. Although bleeding is a normal reaction to anticoagulants, many patients report that the bleeding experienced after using Xarelto is more intense compared to conventional blood thinners. , Furthermore, unlike traditional coagulants using Vitamin K to stop the bleeding, Xarelto has no antidote to relieve the effects of the drug. Therefore, during an emergency, patients stand the risk of suffering from life-threatening gastrointestinal and internal hemorrhaging.
The Basis of the Lawsuits
The defendants in the Xarelto lawsuit based on the defective and dangerous effects of Xarelto are Bayer and Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Apart from the risks of the drug, the lawsuits allege that:
- Xarelto was marketed as a superior anticoagulant though studies show that there is a higher rate of transfusion and bleeding among those who use Xarelto than those who use drugs from certain competitors
- Despite the dangerous side effects of Xarelto, its manufacturers still market it as a reliable blood thinner
- Consumers of Xarelto never received adequate warning about the risk of experiencing fatal bleeding after using the drug
- Physicians and nurses did not receive adequate instruction on ways of stabilizing or dealing with a Xarelto patient who experiences severe bleeding after using the coagulant
- Xarelto is associated with severe bleeding complications, intracranial hemorrhaging, excess blood loss, vitreous hemorrhage (eye bleeding), gastrointestinal bleeding, stomach bleeding, inability to stop dangerous clotting, and infections of wound due to inhibited clotting.
What Kind of Compensation are the Plaintiffs Seeking?
The main basis of these lawsuits is to receive compensation for damages associated with the Xarelto drug. The plaintiffs expect Bayer and Jansen to compensate them for medical bills incurred in the past and those likely to be incurred in the future. Other damages include pain and suffering, lost wages, funeral expenses in cases where patients have died from severe bleeding. In addition, the plaintiffs also want punitive damages to act as punishment for the defendants and as a warning against other pharmaceutical companies.
In case you or someone you love has experienced severe bleeding after using Xarelto, it is your right to seek legal redress. Contact us for a free case review and so we can help you review your options.